Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Thoughts on cheese

I have too many rambling thoughts about cheese, so maybe it's best that I just list them:
  • It is a terrible loss to the world that the world no longer enjoys cheese made in that artful tradition that evolved over thousands (thousands!) of years. Cheese, yet another casualty of war...
  • That being said, I am not opposed to the use of synthetically made rennet as opposed to using the stomach of a young calf. My animal-lover self cannot justify the killing of calves that would be needed to traditionally satisfy the demand for cheese. 
  • On the opposite extreme, I am disgusted by the preference to process cheese. It seems like the hot-dog version of cheese. The thing that puts me out is not so much that it exists, but that due to its low cost, it is prevalent in our society. How many times have I consumed this product without even knowing it? Yet another reason to forgo things made with products of unknown origin. 
  • And since I am on an emotional rant...low fat cheese, really? When considering what manufacturers have to put into cheese to make it palatable once the fat is out, I no longer wonder why our bodies have traces of harmful pollutants. I do not want to place blame only on manufacturers though. A healthy approach to moderation would diminish the demand for these altered products that seem to scream, "eat all you want, it has only half the calories! The other half is just a bunch of anti-nutrients." How about eating half but really, really enjoying it?

No comments:

Post a Comment